The Mt Albert Gymnasium Club was first established in 1919 and next March celebrates 100 years of teaching kids the joy of gymnastics. The club started off in the Mt Albert Presbyterian Church with just 10 boys, where it flourished until its move in 1922 to the King George Hall. With increasing numbers, in 1964 the club raised funds to help build the Frank Turner Stadium in Mt Albert and even got ‘hands on’ building the seating area. The Club remains in the stadium to this day as part of the Mt Albert Recreation centre complex. In the early 1970s a second branch was established, first from the rugby league hall in Whitney Street, Blockhouse Bay, then in the late 1980s moved to Lynfield Recreation Centre at Griffin Park where it remained until the club was consolidated back to Mt Albert due to a decline in membership in the early 2000s.
Thanks for supporting our advertisers
Some descendants of those original founder members are still involved with the club including four generations of the Hyde and Hinton/Turner families and three generations of Wood family, originally from the Blockhouse Bay branch. The club would love to see past members at the Mix and Mingle to be held Sat 9th March 2019 – please register as soon as possible if interested at www.mtalbertgym.co.nz/centenary.