It’s taken 100 years, but the New Lynn Tennis Club has come a long way. From humble beginnings in 1919 at the Shaw’s home in Rata Street, New Lynn, to their current premises at Mason Park, Fruitvale Road, New Lynn.
The club celebrated its centenary on April 13th with 140 guests - current and past members, and families of members no longer with us, including the granddaughter of Shaw Family.
Players of all ages, from 7 years old to those in their 80s and 90s, were on the courts in their Wimbledon Whites using wooden rackets which would now be known as vintage.
It was a trip down memory lane, catching up with other members not seen in years, looking through photos of past tournaments, and chatting over a glass of Pimms and a plate of berries and ice-cream.
Eventually 140 people sat down to dinner, with plenty of anecdotes and stories bringing club history to life, followed by the cutting of the celebration cake and a toast raised to the next 100 years.
Special thanks to those local businesses, community groups and our own members through whose efforts the event became a great success.